For many, the USA is one of the most attractive countries for investment and business. Russians are also one of the most active groups of foreign investors in the US.
Business immigration to the United States from Russia means the movement of Russian businessmen and investors to the United States in order to open or acquire a business. In this article, we will look at some of the types of visas that can be obtained for business immigration, as well as the obstacles that can prevent you from moving.
The EB-5 investor visa is one of the ways foreign investors can obtain permanent residence in the United States. To qualify for an EB-5 visa, an investor must invest at least $500,000 in a new or existing business that will create or retain at least 10 jobs for US citizens or legal residents. It can be either a new business or an update or restructuring of an existing one. The investor must also go through many security checks and bureaucratic procedures.
Benefits of an EB-5 visa
- It allows investors to obtain permanent residence in the US, which gives them the opportunity to live and work anywhere in the country.
- The EB-5 visa also allows investors to secure permanent residence for their spouse and children under 21 years of age.
- Investments in projects approved for an EB-5 visa may generate additional income for the investor.
- This is one of the few visas that allows investors to apply for a green card without having to wait a long time in line.
- No work experience or education required.
Cons of the EB-5 visa
- A large amount of money is required to be invested, which may not be available to many investors.
- The visa process can be complex and requires the assistance of a lawyer.
- There is a risk of losing the investment, as the investment may not pay off.
The E-2 visa is one of the most popular visas for immigrating to the US in connection with business. This visa is for investors who wish to invest their savings in the US and do business there.
One of the benefits of the E-2 visa is that it can be granted indefinitely and the investor can renew it indefinitely. In addition, the spouse and children of the investor can obtain a residence permit for the same period.
To obtain an E-2 visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a citizen of a country with which the US has an international investment agreement;
- You must have a significant amount of money that you plan to invest in a business in the US;
- Your business must be present and active, not planned or potential;
- Your business must create jobs for Americans.
Pros of the E-2 Visa
- There is no restriction on the duration of the visa. The visa can be extended for an unlimited number of times as long as the business continues to exist and make a profit.
- Opportunity for the investor and his family to live and work in the USA.
- Opportunity for the investor and his family to study in the USA.
- An opportunity for an investor to obtain a green card (permanent residence) regardless of the E-2 visa.
Cons of the E-2 Visa
- It is only available to citizens of countries with which the US has an international investment protection agreement. Russia is not included in this list.
- You must have significant investment capital to apply for an E-2 visa.
- The need to maintain active business management in the US.
- The need to continually renew your E-2 visa every few years.
- The E-2 visa does not grant US permanent residence, so the investor must continually renew the visa or use other means of obtaining permanent residence.
However, keep in mind that the E-2 visa has a number of restrictions, including that the investor must continue to control and manage their business, and that the business must be commercial and profit-oriented.
The L-1 visa is for executives and professionals who are moving to the United States to work for a subsidiary, division, or branch of their foreign company. The L-1 visa allows you to stay in the US for up to 7 years and can be extended an infinite number of times.
Benefits of an L-1 visa
- No capital investment required
- No limit on the number of employees
- No restriction on business location
- Can be used to set up a company in the USA
Cons of the L-1 Visa
- Difficulty in Obtaining: The process of obtaining an L-1 visa can be quite complex and requires a lot of documents and confirmations.
- Qualifications: In order to qualify for an L-1 visa, you must have a senior level of work experience in a partner company or subsidiary.
- Limited Validity: The L-1 visa has a limited validity period that can only be renewed a few times.
- Limited Number: There is a limited number of L-1 visas that can be issued each year and may only be available to certain categories of workers.
Business immigration from Russia to the USA can be a difficult and time-consuming task, but with the right approach and enough resources, it can be very beneficial for your business. The EB-5, L-1, and E-2 visas are the three main types of visas that can be used for business immigration to the United States. Each has its own requirements and benefits, and you should choose the one that works best for your particular situation. If you still have questions or doubts about choosing the right visa, you should contact a qualified lawyer or immigration consultant.